Visas & Immigration

All information regarding Immigration, Entry Clearance, Visas and other regulations of the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI), should be checked directly with your local British Embassy, Visa Application Centre or the UKVI. For more information click here

Do I need a visa?

If you are a non-UK national, then you will likely need a student visa, however this depends on your nationality and the duration of your course.

When should I apply?

You should apply for your visa as soon as possible after receiving your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number, however no more than 6 months before your course starts.

How long will it take?

The length of time will depend on where you are applying from.

Check this guide to see how long it will take from your country.

How do I apply?

You should apply online at the above address and pay any associated fees (including the NHS surcharge).

After you apply, you will make an appointment at the visa application centre to have your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) taken. You will be informed of where to pick up your residence permit in the UK.

After you apply

Your completed application will be considered, and your documents sent back to you (or you will be contacted to collect them). Please allow up to 8 weeks (see above).

When you receive your passport with your vignette, please check all the information is correct. Once your visa has been issued, you will be allowed to enter the UK during a specified period of 30 days.

Please make sure you use the correct date when making your travel arrangements.

Please see here for more details. You must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days of arriving in the UK.

Documents checklist


Under usual circumstances, students studying one of our courses who require a CAS for a student visa from Al-Maktoum College are not permitted to bring dependents with them. However, there are some exceptions, please contact if in doubt, and we can signpost you to further information.


Currently, if you are a Tier 4 student sponsored by the College you are not permitted to work during or outside term time.

Travel outside the UK on a student visa

Some students take the opportunity to explore other nearby countries whilst in the UK. You should plan any travels carefully around your studies so that you fulfill all the requirements of your course and your student visa. If you do decide to travel, you should consider whether you require a separate visa for the country you are travelling to. Be aware that some embassies may require you to have three to six months left on your UK study visa, and you could also be refused entry to the UK if you return after the end date of your course.