Health Information

Register with a doctor (GP)

International students who have paid the healthcare surcharge can register with a GP; contact your local surgery and ask to register. You will have to complete some forms and attend an appointment with a nurse or GP. Please tell the surgery at this point if you have any special requests.

Register with a dentist

Students are encouraged to register with a dentist while in Dundee. You still must pay for dental treatment even if you have paid the NHS surcharge. There is a dental hospital in Dundee where they accept patients on a walk-in basis.

Find a local Doctor or Dentist here


If you are taking medication, you should check if your medication is registered and licensed for use in the UK before you arrive. If you are not sure, you can call a practice in Dundee before you arrive. If it is not allowed, please speak to your GP at home before you arrive.

Prescriptions can only be written by a medical practitioner and are dispensed at a pharmacy, usually called a ‘chemist’. It is possible to buy over the counter medicines for minor ailments from the high street chemist.

If you have an out-of-hours medical question, you can call NHS 24 on 111 for advice. If it is an emergency, then you should call 999.