Eduroam (education roaming) is a secure, international wireless (wifi) service available to all students, staff and visiting academics at the Al-Maktoum College and other participating institutions. https://www.eduroam.org
Eduroam (education roaming) is the secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community. This international initiative that allows members of educational establishments to gain Internet access at other member sites easily, using credentials from their home site securely via wireless (wifi) and wired connections.
Using this service
Its important to note this service should not be used on shared devices, only devices you use yourself. This is because the device will remember the username and password from the last session. Your username & password will be securely stored on the device.
Download area QR code:
To configure your device download the setup installer or manually connect to eduroam wifi:
1. Go to the wifi settings on your device (see your device’s handbook OR Common device instructions below)
2. Ensure wifi is switched on
3. Configure your device to forget any previous eduroam wifi networks you may have joined
4. Connect to the wireless network “eduroam”
Visitors from a site that operates Eduroam
Frequently Ask Questions
Can I use eduroam?
All staff and students can access eduroam using their full username and password. Guests and visitors will need to check with their educational establishments if they are also members of the eduroam network to use this facility. All other guests and visitors should use Alternative wifi provided.
Where can I use eduroam?
Eduroam is available at most Universities and Colleges in Europe and USA, and many Universities around the world as well as hospitals and research facilities in the UK. A map of eduroam locations is available here:Â https://www.jisc.ac.uk/eduroam/participating-organisations.Â Further information about where eduroam is available can be found by visitingÂ https://www.eduroam.org/where/
How do I connect or set up eduroam on my device
To help you get connected as quickly as possible, we have created connection instructions for some of the most commonly used devices:
Using the eduroam installerÂ (This supports most devices)
Alternative Manual Settings
Wifi device settings for iPad/iPhone/iPod
Wifi device settings for Mac OS
Mac OS X 10.5 and newer
Mac OS X 10.3.3 & 10.4 Earlier versions cannot connect using the built-in wireless client software.
Wi-Fi device settings for Android (version 3 or higher is necessary)
Wifi device settings for Windows Phone
(Instructions based on Nokia Lumia 610 & Windows Phone 7.5)
Wifi device settings for Windows 10
If the above steps do not work, you may have to manually setup your eduroam wifi.
|Security key:||Leave blank|
|Tick â˜‘Â – Start this connection automatically
Untick â–¡Â – Connect even if the network is not broadcasting
11. Click NextÂ and then clickÂ Change connection settings
12. Click on the SecurityÂ tab and check that the settings match the following:
|Choose a network authentication method:||Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP)|
|Tick â˜‘Â – Remember my credentials for this connection each time I’m logged on|
13. Click on the network authentication method SettingsÂ button
14. Check that the settings match the following:
|Trusted Root Certification Authorities:
Tick â˜‘Â – Verify the server’s identity by validating the certificate
Untick â–¡Â – Connect to these servers (examples:srv1;srv2;.*\.srv3\.com)
|Trusted Root Certification Authorities:
Tick â˜‘ any of the following. (You may not have them all listed).Tick â˜‘Â – AddTrust External CA Root
Tick â˜‘Â – Terena SSL CA
Tick â˜‘Â – UTN-USERFirst-Hardware
|Notifications before connecting:||Tell user if the server’s identity can’t be verified|
|Select Authentication Method:||Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)|
|Tick â˜‘Â – Enable Fast Reconnect
Untick â–¡Â – Disconnect if server does not present crypto binding TLV
Untick â–¡Â – Enable Identity Privacy
15. Click on the Select Authentication Method..Â button
16. Untick â–¡– Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)
17. Click OKÂ and then clickÂ OKÂ on the Protected EAP Properties window too
18. Back in the eduroam Wireless Network Properties window, click Advanced Settings
19. Check that the settings match the following:
|Tick â˜‘Â – Specify authentication mode|
|Specify authentication mode:Â User authentication|
|Untick â–¡Â – Enable single sign on for this network|
20. Click on the Save credentialsÂ button and enter the following:
|User name:||Your full username|
|Password:||You usual password|
21. Click OKÂ and then clickÂ OKÂ on the Advanced settings window too
22. Click on the ConnectionÂ tab of the eduroam Wireless Network Properties window
23. Check that the settings match the following:
|Tick â˜‘Â – Connect automatically when the network is in range|
|Untick â–¡Â – Look for other wireless networks while connected to this network|
|Untick â–¡Â – Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)|
24. Click OKÂ and then clickÂ CloseÂ on the Manually connect to a wireless network window
25. Close the Network and Sharing Centre window
26. Back in the Network & Internet settings window, scroll to the top and click on eduroam
27. Tick â˜‘ “Connect automatically” and and click Connect
28. Microsoft will ask if you wish to continue, click Connect
Are there any conditions of use?
Yes, Use of our eduroam provision is subject to ourÂ TEN Group Conditions of Use, theÂ JANET acceptable use policyÂ (AUP) and theÂ JANET eduroam Policy.
Use of eduroam is limited to current students and staff of member institutions.
It is an eduroam condition of use that users must remove the eduroam wifi profile from their mobile devices when their association with City College Norwich or other eduroam member institutions ends.
FAQ’s: Alternative Guest wifi
How do I obtain Guest wifi access for my guests and visitors?
You can obtain guest IDs from reception. If you are organising a larger event with a number of visitors, we suggest you contact I.T. ServicesÂ well in advance.
Is there a charge for using Guest wifi?
No, both our guest and eduroam wifi services are free.
Why is a username required at all?
Usernames and passwords ensures that only official Staff, Student, guests and visitors to our institutes can use our wifi service.
Why isnâ€™t my Guest wifi account working?
The password may have been changed.Â Please contact Reception for an update.
For further information, please see theÂ eduroamÂ website.